NOTE: If you are an existing Runn customer and are already tracking your people and projects in Runn, please contact Runn support via the chat below or send us a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you get started.
Step 1: Set-up
1. To enable the Harvest integration, log into your Runn account.
2. Click on your account name in the top right corner, then go to Settings > Integrations (you can also get there by following this link: https://app.runn.io/integrations)
3. Toggle on the Harvest integration:
4. Create a New Personal Access Token (suggested name: runn)
5. Copy Your Token & Account ID and head back to Runn.
6. Back in Runn, enter Your Token into the API Token field and the Harvest Account ID int the Account ID field.
You're now ready to import your Harvest data into Runn!
Step 2: Importing your client, project, and people data
You'll need to import your clients, projects and people first, before you can import any timesheet data (sync actuals). This is so you can check and make sure you're happy with the imported data first.
1. Select Sync Clients & Projects and Sync People.
2. Click Save and Run. Your data should be imported within a few minutes.
3. Once the import is complete, the page will automatically refresh and you'll see the last sync date appear in the bottom left corner.
If a person on your team has no role or multiple roles in Harvest, Runn will assign the role "Unknown". You will need to manually update the person's role in Runn before you can start using the timesheet sync. Here's how.
How the Harvest integration works
Our Harvest integration allows you to import your clients, projects, and people from Harvest.
Once a day, Runn automatically imports any new clients, projects, and people you have added to Harvest.
You may also run the import manually if you have created something new in Harvest and need to see it in Runn immediately.
You can find the button to do this at the top of the respective Client, Projects, and People pages.
Our Harvest Integration is a one-way, daily sync. This means:
- If a client, project, or person exists in Harvest but not in Runn, it will automatically bring them across.
- All Harvest timesheets will automatically synchronize daily. See the Harvest Actuals Integration page for more details.
- If you updated or delete a client, project, or person in either Harvest or Runn, we will not update the details between the two. They remain separate after being imported.
- Any client, project, or person created in Runn will not appear in Harvest. They must be created in Harvest separately.
- We match purely on the ID created in Harvest. If you create the same client, project, or person in both Runn and Harvest, they will be duplicated.
- If you have an existing client, project, or person in Runn, and want to ensure a duplicate isn't made from Harvest, you can manually enter the Harvest ID (external reference) within Runn. You can do that when editing a client, project, or person.
I created a client, project, or person in Harvest and it doesn't appear in Runn
Try going to the Clients, Projects, or People list page in Runn and click the "Import from Harvest" button. Wait 5 minutes and check if the item you created appears.
If these Button is missing, then you may not have the importing function turned on.
A person has the role "Unknown" what happened?
If a person has no role or multiple roles in Harvest we will assign the role "Unknown". You will need to manually update the person's role.
There is a duplicate client, project, or person
You must decide which item to keep. You should base this on which item has data attached to it. For example, if a project or person has assignments and another one doesn't. You should delete the item without the assignments.
You can then manually add a reference for Harvest to this item (see above), and it will no longer be duplicated. In the future, always ensure that, if an item is added to Runn first and then added to Harvest, you update the external ID for the item in Runn.
I created a client, project, or person in Runn, and now want to create it in Harvest. How can I avoid duplicates?
You can avoid duplications by ensuring that any item that is created in Runn first, and then in Harvest, has the Harvest ID attached.
If you create the item in Harvest first, simply click the "Update client, project, or person from Harvest" button and within a few minutes, the new item from Harvest will appear in Runn.
How can I delete all imported data?
You will need to manually remove any of the clients, projects pr people you have imported, and no longer need.
If I have a large amount of existing data within Runn, how can I make sure no duplicates appear?
You can manually enter the harvest id (found in the harvest URL or from the API) into Runn. However, if you send an email to email@example.com we will be able to help you with the process and ensure a quick integration and avoid duplications.